Saturday, April 21, 2012

Gearing Up For Spearfishing

I was looking through some old files on my computer the other day and came across my spearfishing video folder containing many of my dives from last summer. Watching my head mounted GoPro HD camera capture my dives shooting Hogfish, Gag Grouper and Mangrove Snapper got me amped up for this season.

I've been spearfishing in one form or another since I was a kid. It started with a pole spear around the dock lines for sheepshead and continued to free diving the artificial reefs in the Gulf of Mexico. For a while it was an obsession. I would spearfish year round, wearing a hooded wetsuit in the winter. Early in my marriage I wanted to go spearfishing but my wife wanted to go on a date. I thought I could shoot two fish with one spear by taking her on a date to watch me spearfish from the seawall. Bad idea.

Seven years ago I fell from grace in the eyes of "true spearfishermen" and became Scuba certified. I became too fat for my wetsuit and haven't thrown down the money for a new one. Now spearfishing is more of a seasonal thing for me. My boss and pastor, Danny Hodges, tries to go offshore spearfishing every Monday in the Summer, weather permitting; and I am fortunate enough to be on his A-list of dive partners. With the water warming quickly it is time to get back on it!

One of the best perks of spearfishing the Gulf of Mexico is the Hogfish. They are really tough to catch on hook and line gear but are plentiful and super easy to spear. They seem to be genetically programmed to swim slowly in front of a speargun and turn broadside. Did I mention that they are killer table fare? The whitest, flakiest fillet you will ever eat. There is one small ledge we call Marilyn's Birthday that is our go to spot for Hogfish. I can usually hang in one spot and limit out in a matter of minutes. As I shoot one I keep my eye on the next victim as they wait in line to swim in front of my spear; stupid, delicious fish!

One thing that I am bummed about is the fact that Gag Grouper harvest is closed till July this year. One of my favorite parts of spearfishing the Gulf is sticking a big Gag hanging in the sand off the ledge. This winter and spring we have caught more big Gag Grouper than I have ever seen in 30 years of fishing the Gulf, but according to the tree huggers at NOAA they are over fished and very scarce. So until July I will have to pass on the Gag. It will feel like passing on a big buck while doe hunting.

But I need to stay positive and think about Mangrove Snapper, Hogfish, Scamp and Red grouper. Not to mention Amberjack, Cobia, and others that can be taken with a speargun. So it's time to inspect the gear, fill the tanks and clean the grille for the best eating the Gulf has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment